The Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society
Lewistown Station and Archives owed and operated by the PRRT&HS and used by Amtrak.
DONATIONS TO THE ARCHIVES
For guidelines on making a donation of tangible items to the Society’s Archives click on link below:
Guidelines For Accepting Donations
PLANNED GIFTING DONATIONS
Do you want to help shape our Society's future after your lifetime? You may find that a bequest to the PRRT&HS will allow you to support us tomorrow in a more meaningful way than today when your personal obligations demand your utmost attention. There are several ways to make a gift to us in your will and are outlined below:
· Outright bequest. You can will us a sum of money, specified personal or real property, or a share of your estate's residue.
· Contingent bequest. You can provide that the money, property, or share is to go to some individual if that person survives you; otherwise, it is to be distributed to us.
· Trust remainder. You can create a trust for a relative's benefit, assuring the availability of income and principal for that person's support, and name us to receive whatever is left when the trust terminates.
· Charitable remainder trust. For greater tax savings, you can establish a unitrust or annuity trust that will pay a life income to the individual of your choice and give the remaining principal to the PRRT&HS. A sizable part of the trust's value will avoid the federal estate tax on your estate. The amount is determined by U.S. Treasury tables for life expectancy based on the beneficiary's age and the market value of the trust at the start.
· Charitable lead trust. For even greater tax savings, you can establish a charitable lead trust that will pay income to the PRRT&HS for a period of years or for someone's lifetime and give the remaining principal to your heirs. The part of the trust's value that will avoid federal estate tax is based on U.S. Treasury tables. The longer the income payments to our Society continue or the higher the annual payout rate to us, the larger the value of the trust which will escape federal estate tax. Plus, in some cases, the use of a charitable lead trust may increase the value eventually passing to grandchildren without incurring the generation-skipping transfer tax.
· Restricted gift. Your Society normally encourages gifts without limits on their use, so that we may apply them to our most urgent needs. However, you have the right to restrict your gift by directing how you want it used, or to allow us to expend only the income earned on the principal.. If you wish to designate a specific purpose, we hope you will consult us in advance, to make certain we will be able to carry out your intent.
· Memorial gift. You can make your bequest in memory of yourself or a loved one. We are pleased to honor your wish, and the PRRT&HS has many ways to grant appropriate recognition.
NOTE: The above information is not intended as estate planning or legal advice. For estate planning, tax or legal advice, please consult a your financial planner and or attorney.
To provide a permanent monetary legacy to the Society while accumulating financial benefits for you and your family visit our American Legacy Planned Gifting program by clicking on the link below:
A Planned Gifting Program
For additional information about a Planned Gifting program contact the Society’s financial agent.
Many employers will match an employees gift to a non-profit organization such as the PRRT&HS. If your employer does so please take advantage of this benefit. Paper work for such donations should be sent in with your renewal form at the time of renewal