- Articles Submitted by our Members or Viewers
- Arrangement of Rail Testing Equipment in PRR 2349.
- PRR 2349 - Rail Test Car - Class N23 - Built 2/16
- The above illustration and photo was part of an advertisement flyer
published by the
- Southwark Foundry and Machine Company of Philadelphia, Pa.
- Due to a rail production change from the Bessemer steel process to
- "open hearth steel" process, the characteristics of
- required a new means of testing.
- The Southwark Foundry and Machine Company, designed and built a hydraulic
- test rail samples with a new test known as the "quick bend
- This new test was developed by a special committee appointed by one
- the "largest railroads". To meet the demand for rail
testing directly at the
- rolling mills or other locality where it was desired to conduct the
- the testing press was installed into a standard railroad car
- a complete mobile testing laboratory. (to be continued).
- This flyer was rescued from the dumpsters, along with a
quantity of other
- literature from the PRSL offices in Camden, NJ prior to closing.
- Photo and article submitted by John Scarpitti, Consolidated Rail
Copyright © 2000
Philadelphia Chapter of the PRRT&HS, all rights reserved
Last modified: Tuesday, October 28, 2008